All posts by Biolapse

BCM problems?

Twice now the BCM stopped running its routine on me. Both within the past 2 days, and enough time lapsed between frames to cause a jump in the subject being filmed. Its always something! But if it were easy it wouldnt be worth doing right? I need to figure out if the arduino is losing power and resetting, or if a power fluctuation is getting to to bump out of the Run Routine mode. If nothing else, i can write the script to start automatically when in RUN ROUTINE, so if the power does take a bump it will start back up. First world problems……

Shooting again!

DSCF1600

Up and shooting again!

Wondering about the voltage regulator though, it was not working when i first tried it today. I metered it and it showed zero voltage, brought it upstairs to the workshop and it started metering at 7.2v.

Ill have to keep an eye on it. In the meantime, i started a new routine. 1000 images, 15 minutes apart, 26 inches of movement on the rail.  Using a Nikon 50 f/1.4 lens

This shoot will last 10 days 10 hours.

DSCF1598

New Biolapse Set up! Color Explosion!

I was up at my parents house today celebrating my moms birthday, and she told me about these Garden Tiles at Lowes, which is basically a small 2 square foot pallet of ground cover plants.   I figured this would be perfect, as I have probably at least a month before i will be ready to shoot the carnivorous plant set. Why sit around and wait?

DSCF1596

The first order of business was to hang the light from the ceiling instead of the Jump Start scaffold. It was starting to get in the way.

Next i cleaned out the prior set, and planted about a dozen flowers. and the ground cover, along with some sphagnum and some extra background material.

DSCF1594

It is pretty sweet, it is like an instant garden!

DSCF1593 DSCF1592

 

Now to give them maybe 3-4 days to see how they respond to the light, once i have everything dialed in and it all looks healthy i will start shooting. I changed from the MH bulb to the HPS bulb which is supposed to be better for flowering.

 

5/12/2014, results of latest test.

Here is the resulting footage from one solid week of growth. I work with a woman named Lori who was kind enough to give me some plants.  I am pretty excited about this test! The backdrop looks great, the movement of the camera looks excellent.  It was moving 2.75/1000th of an inch between every frame

Now is that for accuracy?  You will not find that movement resolution with any of the competition. 😉

 

Now that I am done patting myself on the back, everything went perfect. The new grow light made a HUGE difference, and i am hoping the output will be enough for the carnivorous set.  The camera triggered every single time, (plus 2 bonus frames that I deleted).  The lighting rigs worked, the Biolapse Control Module did its job.

My only complaint is the sphagnum moss moves a bit more than i wanted.  I will have to think the best way to tame that down. I am fairly sure it is a result of the day/night cycles.

 

 

 

5/12/2014 Building Carniverous Set part 2

New set is coming along nicely.

And so is this blog. I may still work on some restructuring,  but this is incredibly less effort. And at this point, i need this to be simple.

SO… after a day of drying, i started using some painters tape to start building the area up. I did not want it solid foam, as i want to be able to access the grow ups from the back. . I decided to add in four grow zones.  Each grow cup has an inlet and outlet for watering from the rear so i do not have risk bumping or moving the plants once they are going.

DSCF9205

Once the tape was in place i used more foam to build those areas up.

DSCF9210

And here it is. I ran out of foam and will need to pick some more up. I am really please with the progress on this. Also, this is just a lot of fun!

I enjoy having creative outlets, I have always been pretty good at drawing, painting, sculpting, etc.  The foam is an incredibly easy medium to work with. Just spray it in, if some areas are too built up, no biggie, just use a bread knife and carve them down.

DSCF9211

Here you can see one of the holes i put in the back of the setup where i can check the water levels. And as i mentioned earlier, there are two hoses in each up, one to add water in, and one to drain it out. So if i overfill by accident, no big deal. It also means i can keep the water fresh.

DSCF9202

My Sundew!!!!!! Im so excited! I have wanted one of these for a long time now. Every time i got one it was destroyed in shipping.  THis one arrived in sorry shape, but it was alive. Apparently i have been doing something right because it has new leaves coming out covered in small red hairs with the little sticky glue on it. 🙂

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I still have a lot of work ahead of me.  I need to finish the foam, texture, seal, and cover the set. i plan to add some sticks and branches, everything i can to create a set that looks like the real world.

I am about to go pull the memory card for the plants lori gave me. They really started to get big with this new grow light.  I think i am going to go pull the memory card in a little bit.  See how everything turned out